Book historian and aspiring digital literary scholar. Japanese Studies Librarian at the University of Pennsylvania; Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Department of East Asian Languages & Civilizations. One of the founders and organizers of Penn Libraries' WORD LAB text analysis interest community. PhD and MA in Asian Languages & Cultures (Japanese Literature/Book History), MSI in Library & Information Science, from the University of Michigan. BA in History, BS in Computer Science, from the University of Pittsburgh.
- About: Me, my CV (PDF format), and this site explained.
- Guides: Annotated bibliographies and resource guides on various topics, including Japanese studies, book history, and online resources.
- Projects: Publications; abstract and outline of my dissertation research; full downloadable copy of my dissertation; academic presentations; other interests; programming project code and papers.
- Blog: My thoughts on professional and creative concerns. Recently, something horrible has happened to it and I apologize for the layout.
- Links: Links to some favorite sites and resources, including professional resources, blogs on literature and culture, and tech resources.
- New article uploaded! I've started a publications page to contain my published articles, book chapters, etc. (Well, I only have one of each of those so far, but let's just say there might be miscellany too.) Please go check it out for a copy of my article in volume 20 (2017) of the journal Book History (preprint)!
- Jekyll introduced. I'm now using Jekyll to generate my website, which means I can more easily modify things like the header, footer, and layout for all pages. Pretty cool. No change for the end user, though. (Even better.)
- New research guides! I have linked to my LibGuides to Japanese text analysis, digital resources, undergraduate resources, and digital resources in the guides section. I'm also continuing to update the book history bibliography.
- CC0 1.0 Universal is now the license for my entire website and all the work included in it, unless otherwise indicated. This means it is in the public domain. Exceptions include my publications and presentations, as well as dissertation. But otherwise, enjoy!
- Please monitor @mdesjardin on twitter.
Reader review: "I didn't have to vomit after viewing your web site. That's why your design is superior."